Well, it’s that time again. Time to pack up all the layers that kept us warm during the winter months and clear away layers of dust. As you begin the spring cleaning process, you may not think to give your storage unit a once over, but like your home, a storage unit is an important space that needs a little TLC a few times per year, too. Here are a few pointers to get you started:
- Make Space: Sweep out your unit and consolidate boxes. Full boxes are often sturdier and less likely to collapse or lean when stacked. Also, consider donating or selling what you don’t want anymore to make room for more items!
- Do Routine Maintenance: With the change of seasons, now might be a good time to apply wood conditioner to furniture, launder clothes/ blankets or check that a vehicle is still working correctly.
- Upgrade Storage Supplies: If you are storing for an extended period of time, you may want to consider metal shelving units, sturdier bins, or furniture blankets to protect belongings and allow for easier access throughout the year. You could also, install hooks or brackets for things like rakes, tools, bicycles and skis to keep them together and out of the way.
- Spruce It Up: After everything is clean and organized, you may want to consider placing dryer sheets or lavender sachets between blankets or clothing to keep them fresh. You can also hang air fresheners and replace your moisture absorber to keep your space clean and dry.
- Reward Yourself! Take a deep breath, relax and enjoy the beautiful sunshine of spring!
Have you started spring cleaning your NH storage unit? Share your comments or tips below!